Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
November 14th, 2012
November 14th, 2012
Now that the weather has gotten colder, you have probably already started running your furnace to warm your home. But did you know that your gas- and oil-burning furnace can create a deadly gas called carbon monoxide (CO)?
CO, an odorless, tasteless, colorless gas, is found in combustion fumes produced from burning fossil fuels. So, CO can be generated from any gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliance or device, such as furnaces, kitchen ranges/ovens, dryers, gas or kerosene space heaters, water heaters, coal and wood-burning stoves, lanterns, portable electric generators, small gasoline engines, and cars or trucks.
Every year, over 400 people in the U.S. die from accidental CO poisoning, with the highest fatalities occurring among seniors who are 65 years and older. Plus, over 20,000 people visit the emergency room with CO-related symptoms, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Since you can’t detect CO through your senses, you may not know you’re being exposed. Plus, many of the symptoms are similar to those of the flu. The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headaches, fatigue, nausea, shortness of breath, chest pain, vomiting, muscle weakness, and confusion. Eventually, high levels of CO lead to loss of consciousness and death.
To prevent CO poisoning in your home, follow these important tips:
If your CO detector sounds in your home or you suspect CO poisoning:
Your safety is important to us. By following these steps, you can protect your family from this silent killer.
If you’re in the market for a new home loan or want to refinance an existing loan, the Senior Mortgage Specialists at Grandview Lending can assist you. We want to help you reduce the risk and stress of the loan process. Contact us today for more information.
We provide our clients with exceptional service and integrity which has become our hallmark.